Hundreds of Thousands of people calling for unity have attended rallies across the country after last Sunday’s disputed referendum for Catalan independence.
At least 350,000 people gathered in Barcelona, capital of Catalonia, for a rally against independence from Spain.
In Depth: Catalonian Independence Referendum 2017
- Jordi Sànchez in resignation offer to secure release from prison
- Court decision on if Sanchez can attend investiture could go to the wire
- Date of Catalan investiture vote announced as next Monday
- Jordi Sanchez gains Catalan speaker nomination as next regional president
- Puigdemont offers “provisional” resignation from nomination to President
- Guardia Civil report suggests Mossos d’Esquadra assisted Puigdemont flee bid
- Catalan independence parties resume talks to form new government
- Concerns Catalan negotiations grinding to a halt
- Vice President calls for new nominations for Catalan President
- Puigdemont investiture vote postponed, as regional government plans appeal
Protesters dressed in white gathered with signs saying “Spain is better than its leaders” and “let’s talk”.
Businesses have continued to announce their departure from the Catalan region amid the ongoing political uncertainty.
The Caixa Foundation, which controls one of the Spain’s largest banks, announced it was moving its headquarters to Palma de Mallorca while the crisis continues.
Catalan President Carles Puigdemont is expected to address the Catalan parliament on Tuesday at 6pm.
However Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said in an interview this weekend, that any declaration of independence will have no effect, and could lead to the suspension of autonomous rule.
More from Catalonia Political Crisis
Jordi Sànchez has said that he is willing to stand down from politics, and remove his nomination for Catalan regional …
The public prosecutor in the supreme court has said that they will make a decision on whether to allow Jordi …
The Catalan investiture debate has been scheduled for the 12th March - the Catalan speaker Roger Torrent has confirmed. In a …